Monday 18 March 2024

Hanging Around #wootton 3

I wonder if this crane is still in use? There's plenty of pallets nearby to suggest the affirmative, but it would mean that the aqueduct would be blocked during the loading process. And with the height of some of the tunnels, you'd only be able to sail so far. The only use I can think of is to deliver coal to the nearby farmhouse, though they’re probably all fitted out with generators or wired up to the National Grid by now. It could be used to hoist gas canisters on and off the boats it there's nowhere for them to moor up. It's there for more of a historical memento now, though if an ill-timed misdemeanour occurred then I'm sure that the local council wouldn't hesitate to take it down. The bridge itself looks well-built and doesn't show any sign of rust. I wonder if it's ever leaked. I like the fact you can walk alongside the bridge while still being on the footbridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment