Tuesday 8 May 2018

Understanding the new GDPR rules


Lots of organisations have been writing to me lately. Not to tell me of their latest offers or inviting me to events, but to tell me that they’ve updated their privacy policy. It’s the same law that applies to everyone; but some companies have interpreted it different to others. Some say that they can’t send me any more e-mails unless I click their link; yet they still send e-mail after the deadline has expired. In short, companies must provide more tools to allow what data you want to share with them; though surely if you didn’t want to share the information you’d either leave it blank or lie about it anyway. The new rules also let you decide who sees your information and how you can control it; especially on social media platforms. Google has even written its own message about cookies that I have to display every time someone visits to warn them about cookies. I’m thinking of re-writing this notice…

No comments:

Post a Comment