Sunday 27 May 2018

Thwaite's Wainwright at the White Lion, Matlock


This is a very quiet pub in an old part of town; but its main attraction is that you get to sit outside and watch the cable cars go up the Heights of Abraham. You can do this in underneath the pub’s large green umbrella and picnic tables on their cobbled front lawn. It’s a traditional stone-built pub with a stone floor, a fireplace and two small front lounges. One’s for drinking in large leather chairs and the other one’s for dining, and a fireplace separates the two. In the back there’s further tables for dining in a modern atmosphere. I was hoping to get a nice chat out of the barman, but he was more interested in whether I was dining or having another drink. I did take a peek at the menu but it was a little out of my price range. My main concern was to get back to the campsite as I still had a hill to climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment