Friday 25 May 2018

A mix-up in Time

It was my first afternoon in Matlock and I was particularly keen to check out the local pub scene. I had a guidebook to the best pubs in the area; and it would take me just half an hour’s walk to join up with the nearest walk to my campsite, and another half hour to get to the first pub. Furthermore; Matlock seemed a large enough town, so it would be easy to get a taxi back if the worst came to the worst. The first pub that the guidebook recommended was shut on Mondays. I checked online and the local CAMRA branch hadn’t updated their opening hours either; so an e-mail was duly sent upon my return. In the meantime, I carried on into the village; where the next pub was shut as well. In fact, the only pub I found in the area seemed to be a newly opened micropub that wasn’t listed anywhere, and the locals even asked me if I was looking for the only pub in Matlock. It kind of dampened the mood a bit for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment