Friday 13 December 2019

Passing the Pen

I was involved with Pint Taken for some time before my editorship as I often wrote articles about CAMRA’s recent events, and I also help to distribute the magazine. I know that readers love flicking pages for inspiration on new places to visit and beers to sup (I hope you do too!), and I thought that it would be a shame for the publication to cease to exist. And so, on a cold winter’s night Charlie Ayres passed his pen onto me.

My favourite part of being editor was to be one of the first people to hear about the newest venues and of course it gave me a great excuse to visit them! My first front page featured a beautiful picture of the Black Star in Stourport-on-Severn. I remember tiptoeing anxiously around the buildings on the opposite side of the River Stour to capture that perfect shot; having no idea if I was on public property or whether I was trespassing. But it was all worth it as a few weeks later I ripped open a box and I was holding my first edited copy. I carried on to produce another nine issues before passing the pen to Andy Checketts.

No comments:

Post a Comment