Tuesday 14 May 2019

My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl

My Uncle OswaldMy Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Bloody Hell! I knew that Dahl wrote a few adult tales but I never thought he’d write one as raunchy as this! I’d never heard of this tale before, but once you’ve read it it’s easy to see why it’s not placed in a prominent place in the bookshop. There’s no inner struggle here; just a simple straight-forward tale of how a well-placed elite independent man makes his fortune in a rather orthodox manner. Oswald wins the reader over by not snubbing us; he’s quite happy to disclose the best in fine dining and what to look out for; all while keeping his customers in suspense as he spins his stories. I loved the irony of the characters’ names and how they lived up to them. And there’s plenty of puns and innuendoes to make your mum blush. I did think the ending was quite sudden and the tables were turned on him the moment he got too greedy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment