Friday 29 July 2022

Commandeering a Floating Pagoda

To avoid the congested walk back, and to prevent the tour company from getting sued, our guide managed to commandeer a large pagoda-style boat to sail us across the lake back to the exit. I would have preferred a pedalo but I don’t think that some of the older ones could handle it. Instead, we piled in with another Chinese tourist group, but we did get to see the Emperor’s pleasure boat which was made of stone (though I suspect it was more of a building for concubines rather than a physical vessel), and a beautiful ornate bridge that crossed the lake. I would have lied to have spent more time crossing this bridge. Our evening was our last night in Beijing, and we were treated to a traditional crispy fried duck. I was one of the few who dared to sample the crispy beak. I’ll eat anything if it’s deep fried and in a sauce that I recognise.


No comments:

Post a Comment