Tuesday 2 March 2021

Foundation's Edge by Issac Asimov

Foundation's Edge (Foundation #4)Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is the most enjoyable book of the series so far, probably because it’s more of a tale of people actually travelling out to visit planets that they’d never been to before rather than comments of an assumed knowledge that we lack; and Pelorat was just what we needed. It’s still all confusing because of all the parallels; but the characters are easier to follow as their backgrounds are described in more detail. From the beginning I was on my guard as I fully expected any character to announce that they were an agent of another at any time. It was also a shame that we weren’t actually told what Seldon said during his appearance in the chamber; although the free-thinking in this book suggests that people would prefer to follow their own fate rather than one set out for them. I thought that Asimov should have built some anticipation when he revealed the location of the Second Foundation rather than the anti-climatic method that he did employ. I felt that it was too early and it meant that the reader already knew that some of the characters were being sent on a wild goose chase. But there were still many comic moments. Trevize seemed insistent to illustrate his background by proudly wearing a sash wherever he went. I was excited to meet the saga’s first lowly mechanoid and stumble upon the reason as to why robots hadn’t arrived sooner. And I loved the attitude of Bliss. It really introduced some much-needed humour into the saga. It will be interesting to see if the Foundationers are still keen to follow their future as they discover more about their past.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment