Sunday 7 February 2021

Do I really need to know that?

I’m just wondering about the news content lately. Yes, there’s a lot of doom, gloom and uncertainty out there. But there’s also things that I don’t need to know. Granted, the news isn’t tailored to me (yet) and some people need some good news to give them hope. But there’s certainly some power in choosing what makes the news and what doesn’t. Obviously the editors must source the best content to attract and retain as many readers and viewers as possible, all while pleasing their owners and sponsors. And even when we have 24-hour news, there’s always way too much focus on one topic and not enough of the other. Who cares as to why a former reality TV star was arrested last night? I just want to know what crazy new rules the politicians have thought up today. But while I’m trying to find this out, the editors throw all sorts of things at you to keep you hooked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment