Sunday 6 October 2019

What to do on the 4th of July?

Hopefully, the same as every other day. If I worked for an America, I might get a free doughnut in celebration, but that might be it. Otherwise, it’s business as usual. Not every day can be celebrated in every culture, or even within the same culture. People still die on Christmas day however festive it may seem. Life goes on. When I was America, I joined in the festivities and no-one excluded me just because I was British. Likewise, I don’t expect Americans to display plastic dragons and have people walking about in suits of armour during the end of April. Americans visiting Britain at that time will have to recognise that we don’t see it (or much else for that matter) as a holiday. I’ve always wondered of running a British bar in New York though. Would I treat that day as just a normal day, or would I have the staff wearing traditional redcoat uniforms or dress them up in black to mourn the loss as a bit of fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment