Friday 22 March 2019

The Crumbling Castle Hotel, Lampeter

I’d booked to stay at the Castle Inn to attend an event at the University. I’d never stayed there before but I’d booked my parents in there some time ago and was impressed with their comfortable room and of hearing about their breakfast. When I arrived the free public car park that was advertised on the listing is now a pay and display car park. Not a problem as I thought that the rate of £2.70 I paid for 24 hours was very reasonable and the machine took cards too. Next up: the check-in. The guy behind the bar was friendly enough but it was certainly an ‘outsider enters the saloon’ scenario when he went to fetch my key. As we climbed the stairs to my room, I asked what time breakfast was served and I was told that they don’t serve breakfast. Now breakfast isn’t mentioned on the website and it only mentions a restaurant but I was a bit puzzled as to why; partly because of the recommendation I received and also because of the fact that the green sign on the front of the pub still clearly reads ‘Bed & Breakfast’. Again, not a problem for me as Granny’s Restaurant is a few doors down and there’s also a Gregg’s across the street. But why? I’d have been happy to pay extra for breakfast and I’d been looking forward to it. Next, my single room. You get a view of the high street (which is what you’d expect for the pub’s location) and it’s reasonably quiet. The windows are glazed enough so that you won’t be woken up in the night by boy racers and locals staggering home. But what I did notice was a great big shoeprint in the carpet where a previous occupant must have decided to shine his shoes with extra polish and add a bit of colouring to the room. I was pleased to see tea and coffee and sugar and a little kettle and mug in the room, and there were plenty of towels. But the shower door was also hanging off its hinges so I had to be very careful as I climbed in and out. Finally, the check-out. I wasn’t told the check-out time and procedure and forgot to ask the night before, and only discovered this information out by going to booking.com’s website. As I headed downstairs the bar doors were locked but I did gain access to the restaurant, only to see no-one about. As I approached the horseshoe bar I tried and failed to get the attention of a cleaner who was vacuuming the lounge. In the end I left my key on the bar and headed out, at which point I bumped into the cleaner who clearly couldn’t give a dam who I was or what I was doing here. In short, if you’re looking for a functional room at a good price then look no further. But if you’re looking for a bit of class and service then my personal recommendation is to head for the Black Lion which is a bit pricier but has just undergone a refurbishment of both the pub and its rooms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment