Monday 23 October 2017

Memory Man by David Baldacci

Memory ManMemory Man by David Baldacci
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

There’s probably thousands of detective novels out there and this story isn’t one that I would choose; it just ended up on my I-pad as a freebie. That said; this tells a stereotypical story of a depressed private dic and his troubled past; and ultimately how he battles his demons to get back on the waggon. It’s not very inspiring; each chapter is shortly written and there’s not enough suspense to keep the pages turning (or sliding in my case!). It wasn’t too hard to guess that the shooter had transformed their size; who would idolise a giant fat man? Then there’s the usual lack of teamwork between federal departments the need to keep all leads close to the troubled protagonist. The characters are introduced too slowly for you to have a guess at ‘whodunnit’; and I often thought it was the oddball journalist who gave up her 9-5 job to tail him almost everywhere; yet towards the end of the novel there’s no motive for her to be involved other than she’s just bored of her current situation. Even the final chase is nothing new; a man who is forced to take on the culprits alone without any form of back-up. Yes, it’s an origin story; but it’s nothing inspirational.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment