Tuesday 3 October 2017

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

I Capture the CastleI Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is such an enchanting tale; and even though a castle is featured; there’s no fairy-tale ending about it. The characters are all fiercely independent (the exception being fiscal) which makes for a very interesting read. Cassandra’s diary certainly narrates the events of the novel in great detail; and her own comments and opinions really brings the book to life. She seems to get most of her descriptions by smell rather than sight and sounds. I think it’s a shame that her naivety leads Stephen to be attracted to her, but it’s this trait that does get her into some rather interesting situations; perhaps like a modern day ditzy blonde. Towards the end of the novel, Cassandra begins to develop her thinking rather than simply being a narrator; especially when she discusses religion with the vicar. I particularly enjoyed Mortmain’s imprisonment towards the end; though I did feel that the final outcome was never going to happen.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment