Tuesday 15 April 2014

The Miserables

It's war in my home town!  Kids are roaming round everywhere with rifles in readiness for action and looting up abandoned houses for supplies or trophy items. I'm marching through the streets not knowing who the enemy is, while people are going about their daily business, heading south through the muddy potholed road. Suddenly a grenade is thrown into the centre of the crowd. I shout 'Grenade!' and people start to scatter and stumble. I stop to pick up a young child to get him out of the blast range, only for him to carry on as if nothing has happened as soon as the explosive has detonated. Gunfire erupts and I take shelter in an alleyway belonging to my childhood sweetheart while bricks and mortar fall around me. The people continue as normal, their possessions bestowed upon their shoulders, the bullets somehow missing them or that their ignorance protects them from this apocalyptic world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment