Tuesday 22 September 2020

Animal Heroes

I heard a large bang. It sounded as if something had crashed into the window. I went to investigate and saw a massive bird-shaped outline newly imprinted on the glass. Beyond the window I sensed movement. I cast my eye over the road to the house directly opposite us. On its rooftop was a pigeon. It was staggering around in a daze and it wasn’t hard to assume that this was the culprit who had recently created our stained-glass window. As I watched it, it got closer and closer to the edge of the rooftop. Just as it put a foot over the edge, a second burst of wings appeared from overhead. A second pigeon had its eye on this one and had flown itself into the dazed pigeon to stop it from falling off. I’ve got no idea whether they were mates or from the same nest; or whether it was just a lonesome superhero.

No comments:

Post a Comment