Monday 28 September 2020

A Devious Deed #Empress5

 As Zhong gazed at the enormity in front of him, he wasn’t entirely sure that a foot had just disappeared from the corner of her luscious red lips.

‘Proceed’ she said.

‘My empress, I come to beg favour over my neighbour’s paddy field. My family has harvested this land for many years and I enclose the deeds herewith. Lately, my neighbour has not been maintaining his fence and his livestock have broken through to eat our crops. All I ask is that we keep the right to farm our own land without being disturbed.’

‘Show me the deed.’ A nearby guard reached out and took the rolled-up papers in front of Zhong. He passed it up to the empress on a large pole underneath a huge magnifying glass. There was a deathly silence while the information was processed.

‘Your neighbour seems to have a very large estate. Very large indeed.’

‘Yes, my Empress. All I ask is that my family continue to uphold our traditions unabated.’

‘Very well, here is what will happen. I will evict your neighbour for the insolence that he has paid you. This eviction will happen as soon as possible; but while this is taking place you must reside here with any persons or possessions you wish to keep. But once the eviction is completed; you must farm all the land with rice in return. Do you understand?’

‘Yes, my Empress.’

‘Then get going. Inform my staff of your return and they will make arrangements for stowage.’

‘Thank you, my Empress.’

As Zhong left, the Empress grinned. She loved a feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment