Thursday 27 August 2020

His Dark Materials

This dark, eerie drama had lots of suspense, though much of it was anticipated since I’d already watched the book and seen the movie. There was very little that was new, apart from the inserts into Will’s world which sets the series up for the second book. What I didn’t like was the fact that some of the characters were dressed very similar to the movie, though I suppose that they wanted to stay loyal to the books. I found Mrs. Coulter’s daemon very eerie since it doesn’t utter a word, especially as it’s a daemon belonging to the main antagonist. It makes a character mysterious and act irrational if they have no-one to confide in. I’m surprised that they didn’t make more episodes, but it’s good to see that a second series has been commissioned. There’s still many mysteries to solve such as who is from what world and whether further worlds are involved as the opening title suggests. I just hope that it catches on and encourages a third since the original film stopped at the first book. Time for a re-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment