Tuesday 21 January 2020

A Stumble Around Shrewsbury

The first pub that I visited was called the Wheatsheaf. This was a corner pub at the top of a hill opposite a church, and it was the first pub I came across as I crossed the river. There was a patio with narrow streets abound but there were still people attempting to drive through them. I got a half from an unenthusiastic barman then set myself up in a corner on a wooden square table with a man reading a newspaper at the other end. Records then showed that I entered the Nag’s Head and had a half of Moorhouse, though my memory doesn’t recall the interior or exterior of the pub at all. I even found the Cask Marque certificate. Next stop was the Hole in the Wall. I entered this little pub through a side entrance and at first I thought it was a Wetherspoon’s because of the signage. Sadly it was not to be, as the only beer available was Greene King’s IPA. But what I did enjoy was the Hole in the Wall; a large bricked cavern-like tunnel built inside of the hill. In olden times the pub used to be the town’s jail, and it currently hosts music events in the evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment