Saturday 17 December 2016

Boundary Stones

As we explored the moors, we passed a lot of gravestones with the initials L.N on them. When I saw the first one I thought it might have been a graveyard for my friend Lee Naylor, then realised that there weren't any numbers on them. Maybe he'd reserved the plot; in any case he wasn't impressed when I showed the photograph to him. During our walk we passed half a dozen or so of these stones; and I didn't have a clue what they were for. They're not to mark the distance or the route as surely they'd have numbers marked on them or directional arrows carved on their sides. Perhaps it was to mark the way to London; in which case I wonder how long it took for someone who followed these signs to get there? But after some extensive googling, I've now discovered that they're actually boundary stones which separate the borders between the parishes of Langbar and Nesfield. Sorry Lee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment