Sunday 10 October 2021

Ancient Paphos

On the south-west coast of the island is a fenced-off area just behind the coastal path that you’d be forgiven for thinking that it’s some kind of military compound if you didn’t know what you were looking at. But with a bit of background reading, I discovered that it was part of an archaeological site and it should at least be worth a look at. What looked like a very well-preserved museum from the outside soon turned out to be a bit of a desert within. Armed solely with a mobile phone and a pamphlet given to me by a very bored security guard, I attempted to make the best of what I could find and took a quick photo of the map for reference. The mosaics seem to be well preserved and most of them were enclosed in some kind of basic shelter. The highlight for me was reaching the base of the lighthouse that we could see from our apartment complex, but unfortunately it was forbidden to go in. I also enjoyed the nearby amphitheatre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment