Friday 1 October 2021

Black Widow

I was disappointed to learn that this movie wasn’t to be an origin film. I knew of Romanoff’s tie-in to the Red Room as she was introduced in the Avengers films, but what I was really looking for was a fill-in of the relationship between herself and Barton, maybe with some S.H.I.E.L.D agents thrown in. And some intimate moments would have been brilliant. Instead, we’re treated to a post-Civil War film with some new characters thrown in to prevent the release of brain-washing gas. And the use of Ray Winstone as a villain made it look too tacky and simple rather than a battle with someone who possessed superhuman powers. That said, the film did have a few interesting moments. I loved how Belova mocked Romanoff’s poses, and the locations that the film covered were quite spectacular. But the attempt to encourage a former hero to get back into his cape just failed. I couldn’t see him portrayed as a father figure, and perhaps this should have been covered in the introduction of the film. I also spent his every appearance wondering if her was Kelsey Grammer. The film is entertaining in itself, but it doesn’t really fill in any puzzles to the cinematic universe.      

No comments:

Post a Comment