Friday 2 March 2018

Park Life

A long time ago we decided to get a new garden bench. Mum found one that she liked the look of in Woolworths, and me and my brother met her there after school one summer afternoon. She bought the bench, and the two of us carried it home on a half mile journey for her. While she began cooking our tea; my brother and I started building it and by the time our Dad had got home it was finished. Ever since, the bench has sat in the garden. It’s been varnished a few times and we now have a cushion for it; but it survived a long time. That it, until just last year when three of us were sitting on it and the wood suddenly gave into rot and collapsed. I managed to hold my sitting position while Mum sprang up. Then over the next few weeks I had the laborious job of cutting it into manageable-sized pieces so that we could chuck it away in the wheelie bin each week. Meanwhile, my brother built up this new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment