Thursday 5 September 2013

I gotta wait till the midnight hour

In a 24 hour service culture; you’d think that you’d be able to get whatever you want, at any time of the day. Ice cream sundae for breakfast; evening; a whiskey slammer with your porridge, or even get pop to your gym at 3 in the morning. But no. I’d agreed to give someone a lift to the airport; and their flight was ridiculously early. So on the way back I decided to pop into a 24 hour McDonald's for breakfast. I knew that there were some restrictions on the menu as I’d previously seen a group of Muslim lads come in after a night shift to order fish burgers; to be told that only breakfast would be served which meant they had to leave empty-handed. This time, it was my turn. ‘Sorry mate; breakfast starts in ten minutes’ said the spotted teenager behind the till. Luckily, I had a voucher for a free coffee; which I was then able to use while I drummed the time away for me to get a breakfast bagel. And that drumming was put to excellent use; as I managed to make progress on a hefty novel that I’d been reading. And at least I knew that my food would be cooked too; and not just left on the shelf as a leftover from another order. But it does raise the question that; if it’s a 24 hour service; then surely that service should cater to you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment