Thursday 13 February 2020

The Coronavirus Chorus

It’s quite strange that the Government has chosen “Happy Birthday” as its chosen mantra to encourage people to wash their hands for a set amount of time. It’s embarrassing. I appreciate that there’s a need to choose a song that everyone’s familiar with; but wishing a contagious virus compliments on its existence kind of defies the point. I’m glad that other authorities have taken matters into their own hands and have decided to be creative with other songs. I’m surprised that there’s not a new chart-topper encouraging kids to wash their hands, and I dread to think what our Eurovision Song Contest entry would be this year. I certainly wouldn’t want to be Johnson’s karaoke partner. But what’s also strange is that washing your hands has been portrayed as revolutionary advice when it’s surely back to basics. You might as well say ‘wash your hands, clean your teeth, go to bed or you’ll be dead’.

No comments:

Post a Comment