Saturday 1 October 2016

I am the Cider Drinker

I’ve been treated like royalty. I’d been asked to find a judge for a local cider competition, and not being a cider fan myself I’d asked a few experts but found them to be unavailable. So not wishing to disappoint them, I put myself forward. It was a rainy day and I’d decided to take a lazy morning and wondered if I was too late and that they’d wanted to start and finish earlier. I’d got some home-grown pears that were slightly hard and I was hoping to press them into juice. As the shredding started, I realised that I’d brought nowhere near enough, so they ended up being added to someone’s apple juice. But I called away between the pressing and the pulping to start judging ciders. What I didn’t realise that there were eight ciders to judge in addition to the six commercial ones on sale; and that my results were broadcast as part of the entertainment! So even though I didn’t get any pear juice it was great fun as I had a discount on some cider to take home, a banana loaf to take home and a charity tombola basket which will serve well as someone’s Christmas present.

No comments:

Post a Comment