Tuesday 4 October 2016

Chesterton Mill

While driving through the southern part of Warwickshire one night trying to deliver to a village with the wrong postcode, I came across a windmill on a hilltop in a field. As I got closer, I saw a wooden board near a gate suggesting that it was open to visits and I decided that it would be a great place to try and find a walk. On one weekend, when I’d failed to get up early enough to do anything, I decided to check it out. Of course, I left it far too late to do any proper planning and ended up printing a dodgy map off with just a blue line to show for the roads and footpaths. When I arrived, I parked opposite the windmill and decided to explore that first in case the weather changed, and I was also hoping that there would be some information available about local walks. This wasn’t the case; there was some general information about the history of the mill but signs made it quite clear that the footpath to the mill was clearly designed for an in/out approach. My next plan was to download the route to my phone which would be more accurate but no route could be found. In the end I decided to follow the road for a maximum of two miles looking for a footpath. I found one in ten minutes in the right direction which headed through a field but it turned out that this was too soon. Although I’d managed to half my mileage I’d also missed out on a lot of water features. But at least I got out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment