Tuesday 14 June 2016

Highgate Old Ale at Felix Holt, Nuneaton

This was a nice simple Wetherspoon outlet at its best. A large, open square room alongside one long bar is all that’s needed for this pub to work; with an interesting range of real ales to boot. I had to grab my money’s worth out of the CAMRA vouchers and opt for a pint of strong ale; which meant that I had to stay behind when it came to visiting the next pub? But just who or what was the Felix Holt? I thought with a name like that, it must be the market cat of Nuneaton, patrolling the streets and keeping the mice and rats away from the food trader stalls. But it turns out that he was actually a radical campaigner from a George Eliot novel, who caused a local riot after falling in love with his leader’s daughter. It’s a shame because I much prefer my version; and it’s also not entirely clear what the local connection is.

No comments:

Post a Comment