Monday 26 September 2016

Spitting Feathers

‘It wasn’t me guv, honest.’
Clive looked into the eyes of PC Badger. He’d been caught red-handed again, and this time there was no way out. He knew that Badger didn’t trust him; not after last time. He’d have to think of a more concrete excuse.
‘Where is she then?’
‘Where’s who?’
‘Miss Featherbottom of course.’
‘Who’s that?’
‘She’s the young lady who resides at this particular address. Or used to anyway.’
‘How do I know? I was just…delivering a letter.’
‘So you must know her if you were delivering a letter.’
‘Sorry, not a letter. A leaflet. I’m doing a menu run for the new takeaway in town.’
‘And where are all your other leaflets?’
‘Well, I’ve ran out. Mr. Wu only gave me so many.’ He grinned.
‘And if I were to call on the neighbours of Miss Featherbottom I would discover that some of them would have received a menu for this new establishment?’

Clive suddenly coughed to stall for time; but found that his fake cough suddenly became a genuine one. As he exhaled, a feather splurged up his throat and out of his mouth… 

No comments:

Post a Comment