Thursday 3 September 2015

Gulliver's Travels

Gulliver's TravelsGulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There have been many adaptions of Swift’s tale of Gulliver’s Travels; but I feel that it’s always important to read the original once someone else has come along and tried to ruin it so that the classic tale stays afresh. I’ve never seen Jack Black’s version and neither do I want to; and some versions miss out the visit to the other three islands altogether. The best version that I’ve seen is a TV series starring Ted Danson in 1996 with an all-star cast; though it was a shame that an American was picked for the starring role. Swift’s account is very detailed of Gulliver’s adventures; but his dialogue is not left to the imagination. With every detail covered; there remains little for the reader to create their own interpretation. However, the door is opened for the reader to ponder upon other world and cultures; and how their everyday actions are different to ours.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment