Tuesday 14 April 2015

An Adventure in Ombersley

I enjoyed another pleasant walk last week; this time it was around the village of Ombersley near
Droitwich. The weather was absolutely scorching so it was a great excuse to get outdoors and scout out a route for the next RambAle. After finding a nice quiet road to leave the car, my first task was to cross a busy duel carriageway with a large grass area on each side. A footbridge would have been very handy here; but I doubt that Wychavon District Council will have time to install one before I lead my rambAlers across the road. Luckily; they will barely be on their first pint. I soon found Dean’s Wood and a nice reflective pool for a first rest spot, then bore North to find the spring. Unfortunately I hit the road before the spring; and after backtracking across a footbridge it seems that the original footpath has been diverted. Nevertheless, I soon found the Honey Bee which will make an excellent rest stop for a bite to eat. The next footpath was clearly marked; and I soon found myself back on the main road where my guests will have an opportunity to partake of the Leaking Well in Dunhampton. Then we’re needed to cross another busy road and head down a busy side road to reach the village of Sythampton. The footpath here was again unclear as a new set of industrial buildings have been constructed to hide the way. Fortunately it was clearly marked at the other side, and once through the village I passed through a field of rhubarb then through another field full of sheep. There was a very grand house on top of the mound which was well protected by Dobermans; but luckily they decided not to jump the fence; though they clearly could if they wanted to. After passing through Northampton which consisted of yet more rhubarb; I reached the village of Uphampton with the Fruiterer’s Arms being just around the corner. Onto a narrow track next to reach the main road; then once crossed a series of footpaths led through a caravan site to the Wharf Inn in Holt’s Fleet. As this was not on CAMRA’s radar, it was necessary for a quick half of Otter Bright which was very refreshing. My final problem was to find the right footpath that would take me back to the village. After ending up in someone’s back garden who said that I could come on through;’I found myself at a crossroads way too early and had to backtrack through the river and into the next field. Fortunately the castle on the opposite side of the river made it quite clear where the correct path was; and I soon returned back to the south side of Ombersley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment